INQUIRY 19-06, Two-Factor Authentication for the Employee Personal Page
Published: October 25, 2019
As an added security enhancement, the National Finance Center (NFC) is adding two-factor authentication to the Employee Personal Page (EPP). This enhancement is being added for all EPP users whether they utilize a user ID and password or eAuthentication to access EPP.
This bulletin is being issued to assist Agencies to develop a communication plan for employees. An additional bulletin with additional information will be issued which will also include the implementation date once it is announced.
Employee Personal Page (EPP)
Two-factor authentication is being added.
As part of the rollout of two-factor authentication, NFC will be validating users' email addresses. Users will be required to enter both a work email address and a personal email address the first time that they log in to EPP once two-factor authentication is implemented. This will be a one-time only validation for both eAuthentication and user ID and password log ons.
After validating email addresses, the user will be prompted to establish two-factor authentication.
To Validate Your Email Address and Establish Two-Factor Authentication:
- Connect to EPP.
- Log in to EPP. The Enter Your Work Email address page is displayed.
- Enter your work email address in the Work E-mail field. The work email must end in either , , or .
- Select the button. An email containing a verification code is sent to the email address entered, and the Verify Your Work E-mail Address page is displayed.
- Verify your work email address by entering the code provided in the email.
- Select the button. The Enter Your Personal E-mail Address page is displayed.
- Enter your personal email address in the Personal E-mail field. An email containing a verification code is sent to the email address entered, and the Verify Your Personal E-mail Address page is displayed.
- Verify the personal email address by entering the code provided in the email. The Two-Step Authentication page is displayed.
- To authenticate using a phone number, select the Text Message (SMS) radio button and select the
To authenticate using an authentication application, select the Authentication Application radio button and select thebutton. The Two-Step Authentication page (including the authentication key and the QR code to be scanned) is displayed. Either enter the key provided on an authentication application or scan the QR code. A security code will be provided by the authentication application. Enter the code provided in the Enter the code from the app field. Select the button. The user is now logged in to EPP. button. The Two-Step Authentication page (including the Phone Number field) is displayed. Enter your phone number in the Phone Number field. Select the button. A text message containing a verification code is sent to your phone, and the Two-Step Authentication page (including the Verification Code field) is displayed. Verify your phone number by entering the code provided in the text. Select the button. The user is now logged in to EPP.
An additional bulletin will be issued when this process is implemented.
The procedure manual for this application, which is available online at the NFC Web site, is being updated to include the information in this bulletin.
For questions about NFC processing, authorized Servicing Personnel Office representatives should contact the NFC Contact Center ator via the customer service portal.