INQUIRY 19-09, Implementation of Two-Factor Authentication for the Employee Personal Page
Published: December 4, 2019
Effective: Pay Period 24, 2019
This bulletin supersedes INQUIRY Bulletin 19-07, Implementation of Two-Factor Authentication for the Employee Personal Page, dated November 19, 2019, to announce the December 4, 2019, implementation date for this change.
As an added security enhancement, the National Finance Center (NFC) has added two-factor authentication to the Employee Personal Page (EPP). This enhancement was added for all EPP users whether they utilize a user ID and password or eAuthentication to access EPP.
NFC strongly encourages all users to log in and verify access before the end of the calendar year.
Employee Personal Page (EPP)
Two-factor authentication was added.
As of December 4, 2019, EPP users are required to perform two-factor authentication when logging in to EPP.
As part of the rollout of two-factor authentication, NFC will validate users' email addresses. Users are required to enter an email address in the Work E-mail and Personal E-mail fields the first time that they log in to EPP after the two-factor authentication implementation. This is a one-time-only validation for both eAuthentication and user ID and password logons.
After validating email addresses, the user will be prompted to establish two-factor authentication.
To Validate Your Email Address and Establish Two-Factor Authentication:
- Connect to EPP.
- Log in to EPP. The Enter Your Work Email address page is displayed.
- Enter your work email address in the Work E-mail field. The work email must end in either , , or .
- Select the button. An email containing a verification code is sent to the email address entered, and the Verify Your Work E-mail Address page is displayed.
- Verify your work email address by entering the code provided in the email.
- Select the button. The Enter Your Personal E-mail Address page is displayed.
- Enter your personal email address in the Personal E-mail field. An email containing a verification code is sent to the email address entered, and the Verify Your Personal E-mail Address page is displayed.
- Verify the personal email address by entering the code provided in the email. The Two-Step Authentication page is displayed.
- To authenticate using a phone number, select the Text Message (SMS) radio button and select the
To authenticate using an authentication application, select the Authentication Application radio button and select thebutton. The Two-Step Authentication page (including the authentication key and the QR (scan) code to be scanned) is displayed. Either enter the key provided on an authentication application or scan the QR (scan) code. A security code will be provided by the authentication application. Enter the code provided in the Enter the code from the app field. Select the button. The user is now logged in to EPP. button. The Two-Step Authentication page (including the Phone Number field) is displayed. Enter your phone number in the Phone Number field. Select the button. A text message containing a verification code is sent to your phone, and the Two-Step Authentication page (including the Verification Code field) is displayed. Verify your phone number by entering the code provided in the text. Select the button. The user is now logged in to EPP.
The procedure manual for this application has been updated, and a Quick Reference Card (QRC) with the information in this bulletin is available online at the NFC Web site.
For questions about NFC processing, authorized Servicing Personnel Office representatives should contact the NFC Contact Center at( ) or via the customer service portal.