Deposits and redeposits can be made by employees now serving under CSRS; by separated employees who are entitled (or would be entitled after paying for service) to an annuity; or by eligible widows, widowers, or former spouses of deceased employees. An applicant for retirement is automatically given an opportunity to make the deposit for non-deduction service performed on or after October 1, 1982, and any redeposit when the application for retirement is processed. An applicant for retirement must specifically request an opportunity to make a deposit for non-deduction service performed before October 1, 1982. An employee should not file an application to make deposit or redeposit if he or she contemplates retirement within 6 months.
Deposit is a payment to the retirement fund to cover a period of civilian service during which no retirement deductions were withheld from your salary (also called "non-deduction" service).
Redeposit is a payment to the retirement fund to cover a period of service for which retirement reductions were withheld from your salary and later refunded to you.
Below are the procedures for those interested in making a Deposit/Redeposit.
- Applicant must complete Part A of Standard Form (SF) 2803, Application to Make Deposit or Redeposit-CSRS, or follow the link to complete Part A of the fillable version of the SF 2803 at https://www.opm.gov/forms/standard-forms/.
- Bring the SF 2803 to the Human Resources Benefits Specialist for completion of Part B and other needed documentation.
- Your application and other pertinent information will be forwarded to the Office of Personnel Management (OPM).
- Instructions for making payment together with a statement for the amount due will be sent to you from OPM, as soon as the processing of your application is completed.
- Contact your Human Resources Benefits Specialist if you wish to make payment in full or to make arrangements for payroll deductions. Installment payments of at least $25 are acceptable. However, interest accrues on any unpaid balance.
- A receipt should be obtained once the deposit/redeposit and interest is paid in full.
- The Human Resources Benefit Specialist should be provided with a copy of this receipt. A personnel action will be processed; adjustments will be made to service computation dates, which would include this service in your civilian retirement computation.