You can pay a civilian deposit/redeposit for:
- Any period of creditable civilian service performed before 1989 during which no retirement deductions were withheld from your pay
- Any period of civilian service during which CSRS deductions were withheld from your pay and were then refunded to you based on an application you filed before you became covered by FERS, if the service will not be credited under CSRS rules
- Certain periods of civilian service performed under other retirement systems for Federal employees (that is, other than CSRS or FERS)
- Any period of Peace Corps or VISTA volunteer service (excluding training time) regardless of when the service was performed provided that it was followed by a period of creditable FERS covered service
- If you were employed under FERS on or after October 28, 2009, you can pay a civilian redeposit for any period of service under FERS for which you received a refund of your retirement deductions.
An employee should not file an application to make deposit or redeposit if he or she contemplates retirement within 6 months.
Deposit is a payment to the retirement fund to cover a period of civilian service during which no retirement deductions were withheld from your salary (also called "non-deduction" service).
Redeposit is a payment to the retirement fund to cover a period of service for which retirement reductions were withheld from your salary and later refunded to you.
Below are the procedures for those interested in making a Deposit/Re-deposit
- Applicant must complete Part A of Standard Form (SF) 3108 Application to Make Service Credit Payment (FERS), or follow the link to complete Part A of the fillable version of the SF 3108 at https://www.opm.gov/forms/standard-forms/
- Bring the SF 3108 to the Human Resources Benefits Specialist for completion of Part B and other needed documentation.
- Your application and other pertinent information will be forwarded to the Office of Personnel Management (OPM).
- Instructions for making payment together with a statement for the amount due will be sent to you from OPM, as soon as the processing of your application is completed.
- Contact your Human Resources Benefits Specialist if you wish to make payment in full or to make arrangements for payroll deductions. Installment payments of at least $25 are acceptable. However, interest accrues on any unpaid balance.
- A receipt should be obtained once the deposit/redeposit and interest is paid in full.
- The Human Resources Benefit Specialist should be provided with a copy of this receipt. A personnel action will be processed; adjustments will be made to service computation dates, which would include this service in your civilian retirement computation.