Update on SFTP Work Group Meeting
The National Finance Center (NFC) will hold a teleconference to inform Agencies and their technical staffs of our latest activities associated with NFC’s Secure File Transfer Protocol (SFTP) requirements mandated by the United States Department of Agriculture. NFC will review the process and plans for the path forward and respond to questions. The teleconference will take place on Wednesday, March 4, 2020, from 9:00 a.m. to 11:00 a.m. central standard time. The teleconference number is 888-844-9904, passcode 6221331.
Prior to the meeting, please ensure that your technical staff, who are responsible for completing tasks associated with this initiative, have reviewed the information on this SFTP Web page, including Form AD-3113, Secure File Transfer Protocol File Transmission Request, and HRPAY 19-13, Secure File Transfer Protocol (SFTP) Process. This page contains critical information about the conversion process, as well as frequently asked questions, forms required, and roles and responsibilities for SFTP team members.
View the PowerPoint Presentation for the March 4, 2020 Workgroup Meeting
Update on Secure FTP Conversion Projects Due to NFC Data Center Relocation
The National Finance Center (NFC) has issued several Customer Notifications related to the relocation of its data center and the mandated conversion of File Transfer Protocol (FTP) transmissions to Secure FTP (SFTP). This notification is to inform Agencies of the impact of the data center relocation on the SFTP conversion.
The following dates have been assigned to the data center relocation efforts:
- March 28, 2020—Test Weekend 1
- April 11, 2020—Test Weekend 2
- April 25, 2020—Actual Cutover Weekend
If you have not already contacted NFC regarding action required for the data center relocation, you should do so as soon as possible, as directed in previous notifications found at the Data Center Migration Customer Notifications page.
Agencies may continue to submit Software Change Requests (SCRs) for new SFTP projects. These new projects will follow the normal Software Development Life Cycle; however, projects which cannot be implemented prior to the data center relocation will be scheduled for implementation as soon as possible after calendar year (CY) 2020, Pay Period (PP) 08, the projected implementation period for the data center relocation.
After completion of the data center migration, in order to move SFTP projects as quickly as possible, NFC will prioritize the projects that meet the following criteria:
- All required information is available, as requested on forms AD-3003 Software Change Request and AD-3113 SFTP File Transmission Request.
- No programming changes are required (i.e., no modifications to the contents or format of existing files and no creation of new files).
- Agency/vendor will pull file from NFC.
- All files are transmitted at pre-defined intervals according to NFC’s processing schedule, preventing the need for the File Watcher tool.
- Interconnection Security Agreement is completed or in process.
To further expedite implementations and future changes, NFC recommends that Agencies:
- Use the same server file name as the mainframe file name.
- Send a separate SCR for each system (e.g., CAIS, BEAR, PAYTA, etc).
- Provide FOCUS library name and member name(s), when applicable.
Please note that in most circumstances, an Interagency Agreement may not be required; however, NFC will work with Agencies to minimize costs if new or modified files are required.
Authorized Agency representatives with questions concerning this notification should contact the NFC Contact Center at either 1-855-632-4468; or via the ServiceNow Customer Service Portal (CSP).